What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
afterwards ancient animals antiquities arranged Assyrian belonging Birds Bishop born British bronze called cards casts century Charles chiefly coins collection colours contain copy Countess crowned Cyrene Daughter died discovered Duke Earl East Edward Egyptian Elizabeth England Engraved examples exhibited female figures fish four fragments frieze Gallery George glass Greek hand head Henry important inscriptions Islands Italy James John kinds King known Lady lions London Lord Lower marble March married medals Middle monuments Museum North objects original ornaments painted period Persian picture pieces placed portion portraits presented Prince principal Printed probably purchased Queen relief remains remarkable representing Robert Roman round Scotland sculptures seated Shelf side slabs South species specimens statue stone subjects Suit Table temple third Thomas tomb Upper various vases VIII Wales wall West Westminster
Page 6 - The first book printed in Italic types, and the earliest attempt to produce cheap books by compressing the matter into a small space, and reducing the size of the page.
Page xi - An Act for the purchase of the Museum or Collection of Sir Hans Sloane and of the Harleian Collection of Manuscripts, and for providing one general repository for the better reception and more convenient use of the said collections, and of the Cottonian Library, and of the additions thereto...
Page 111 - NORTH-WEST STAIRCASE. On the staircase are placed Egyptian Papyri, which are documents of various character, inscribed on rolls formed of slices of the papyrus plant. They show the three forms of writing in use among the Egyptians : — 1. The Hieroglyphic, in which all the characters, or figures, are separately and distinctly denned. 2. The Hieratic, in which the same characters are represented in what may be termed a running hand. 3. The Demotic, or Enchorial, a still more cursive form, in which...
Page 91 - Epicurius near the ancient Phigalia in Arcadia. This edifice was erected by Iktinos, the architect of the Parthenon at Athens, in commemoration of the delivery of the Phigalians from the plague, BC 430. The most important part of this collection consists of twenty-three sculptured slabs, originally belonging to a frieze in the interior of the cella of the temple, and now arranged on both sides of the room.
Page xi - Admissions to the galleries of antiquities and natural history were by tickets only, on application in writing, and were, in the first instance, limited to ten, for each of three hours in the day. Visitors were not allowed to inspect the cases at their leisure, but were conducted through the galleries by officers of the house. The hours of admission were subsequently extended, but it was not till the year 1810 that the Museum was freely accessible to the general public, for three days in the week,...
Page 214 - Inscriptions in the Phoenician Character, discovered on the site of Carthage, during Researches by Nathan Davis, Esq., 1856-58. 1863, fol. £1 5*.
Page 14 - Doron, or Book of the Institution of a Prince, written by James I., for the instruction of his son, Prince Henry; wholly in the King's autograph. The original manuscript of the tragedy of " Torismondo,
Page 10 - Plays. With dedication to William Earl of Pembroke and Philip Earl of Montgomery, signed by John Heminge and Henry Condell, the editors, and two of the principal actors of Shakspere's plays. The lines facing the portrait are by Ben Jonson : the portrait by Martin Droeshout. Bequeathed by the Eev.
Page 6 - ... space, and reducing the size of the page. Bequeathed by the Right Hon. Thomas Grenville. In Case VII. this series is continued, with the addition of specimens of early printing in France ; for example :•— 7. Gasparinus Barzizius. Liber epistolarum.—Printed at the Sorbonne in Paris, by Ulrich Gering, Michael Friburger, and Martin Crantz, in 1470.
Page 71 - Ionic peristylar building, with fourteen columns running round a solid cella, and statues in the intercolumniations, the whole elevated on a base, which stands upon two steps. This building has by some been considered a trophy in memory of the conquest of Lycia by the Persians under Harpagus, BC 545, though it was probably not erected till some time in the next century.